Friday, 5 January 2007

What is an ahnentafel?

This is my ahnentafel (German for 'ancestor table'), which is a just a way of organising your family tree. It uses a simple numbering system to show who's related to who.

Here's how it works: To get the person's father's number, multiply their number by 2. To get their mother's number, multiply by 2 and add 1.

Example:
16 = Robert James FULLER, my great-great-grandfather
His father, Robert FULLER = 32 (16 x 2 = 32)
His mother, Elizabeth FARNDALL = 33 (16 x 2 = 32; + 1 = 33)

Some of the relatives listed here do not have numbers, because they do not feature directly in my family tree. Each ancestor gets their own page, where the amount of information warrants it. Please contact me if you think you might be related or have a question.

The information on these pages shouldn't be regarded as concrete; it hasn't all been checked out properly yet. Better to think of it as a pencil sketch rather than a fully-inked version.

Hope you enjoy browsing.

2 comments:

cool bloke upstairs said...

This is very interesting, I've never seen this kind of family-treeing before. And you seem to be a good photographer, but the best bit: your perfect music taste, mate. Well nice!

Brian said...

Hello,

I have seen it in the first time. And it is interesting. I really appreciate your depth knowledge of numerology. You have defined it beautifully. It looks simple but I think lots of hard work should be needed to grab it.

Thanks

Brian Young